The Tax Administration Service (SAT) is a decentralized body of the Mexican Ministry of Finance and Public Credit (SHCP). Its responsibility is to enforce tax and customs legislation so that individuals and companies contribute proportionally and fairly to public spending.
In November 2020, SAT reached a record 80 million active taxpayers in the system, of which approximately 2 million are companies, 46 million are salaried individuals and 31 million are non-salaried. In total, SAT processes an average of 100,000 queries per day.
SAT's citizen service was based on an outsourced call center, operated by agents who handled queries via chat and telephone.
In order to improve citizen service, and faced with the enormous volume of taxpayer inquiries regarding the 2020 Annual Individual Tax Return, SAT sought to establish a more agile, efficient and cost-effective contact strategy.
SAT's objectives were:
- Internalize the attention through its own omnichannel contact center, expanding the channels of attention to citizens so that they could complete the procedures of the Annual Return. In addition to the telephone, they needed to incorporate digital channels such as social networks and chat.
- Optimize customer service with tools focused on increasing the productivity of the operation.
- Automate the 24-hour service through an intelligent chatbot that would speed up the service processes.
inConcert, together with its digital transformation partner Convertia, implemented a project that allowed SAT to establish its own contact center. With inConcert's omnichannel technology, new service channels, advanced functionalities for managing queries and self-service solutions were incorporated into a single platform. Within these solutions, OrientaSAT was developed, an intelligent chatbot whose reception by the public and citizens was extremely positive.
→ The contact center
Using inConcert software, an omnichannel contact center of 344 positions was set up, with the following functionalities:
Messaging: the sending of emails, SMS and voice blasters with information and notifications to taxpayers was automated:
- Links to MarcaSAT, a telephone number that automatically triggers the call to the corresponding area.
- Reminders on the status of procedures and deadlines for tax returns.
- Invitations to check their "Tax Mailbox" on the SAT website.
- nstructions for refund requests.
IVR: A pre-service telephone navigator was created to transfer the user to the most appropriate area to resolve their case. inConcert transferred to SAT the necessary knowledge to build its own virtual assistant on the omnichannel platform, using ASR (voice recognition) technology.
Surveys: From the taxpayer database, those who have been in contact with the SAT are segmented and loaded into the dialer. This automates the outgoing calls and transfers them to an agent to conduct the survey, knowing their level of satisfaction with the SAT service.
Quality: A quality module was developed during the project, which monitors service to ensure compliance with service levels and adherence to required policies.
→ The OrientaSAT
For the development of OrientaSAT, inConcert and Convertia formed a specialized team, in charge of building and implementing the chatbot to guarantee an optimal user experience.
Two ways of accessing OrientaSAT were defined: a minisite specially designed for this purpose, and the web portal of the Annual Tax Return for Individuals; both accessible from the computer, tablet or cell phone. To formulate their queries, the user only has to click on the chat button and provide their name and tax data.
How does OrientaSAT work?
Being a chatbot powered with artificial intelligence, it has three extremely valuable capabilities to provide optimal attention:
a. It is capable of interpreting the user's natural language, detecting their intention and providing them with the most appropriate response for each case, directing them to the sections of the website where they will obtain more information and move forward with the Affidavit process. The chatbot is programmed to answer more than 8000 possible questions from the taxpayer.
b. In case of not being able to solve a doubt and detecting that the intervention of a human is necessary, the bot transfers the interaction to a specialized agent. This agent receives the conversation through the same chat channel, accompanied by the previous context of the conversation in order to provide effective and personalized attention within the available time.
c. The bot is able to continue its training and "learn" from each interaction to solve more and more doubts in a more complete way.
The internalization of the SAT contact center and the implementation of OrientaSAT allowed for very significant improvements in taxpayer service processes and substantial cost optimization.
The main results were:
- Improved user experience by eliminating waiting times with an automated service, available 24/7, every day of the year.
- Automated attention of almost 200,000 monthly queries, reaching an average of 491 queries per hour during peak hours.
- Increased agent productivity:
- 73% increase in capacity to handle telephone queries and 30% reduction in service time.
- 78% increase in capacity to handle chat queries and 45% reduction in service time.
- Increased the volume of attention via social networks by a factor of 5.
- More than 900 responses were added to the chatbot with a high degree of concordance to provide solutions to more than 8,000 taxpayers' questions.
The protagonists speaks
"Since the implementation of OrientaSAT, the waiting time of taxpayers was eliminated and they were able to evacuate more and more doubts, thanks to the constant training of the chatbot. Convertia executed the native integration of the chatbot with inConcert's omnichannel Contact Center platform, significantly improving taxpayer service and resolving their doubts with greater precision."
Hugo Fernando Huesca,
Interinstitutional Services Program Manager